The practice is headed by Dr. Sheena Mathew, Family Medicine Specialist, who completed her 4-year Family Medicine speciality at the University of Stellenbosch and her medical degree at the University of Witwatersrand. She is currently an Exco member of SAAFP (South African Academy of Family Physicians) and heads its private sector forum. She is also a senior lecturer for the UCT Family Medicine department and is involved in the post-graduate training of Family Medicine registrars. Dr. Mathew has been in practice for over 20 years, during which time she has worked in the South African public and private sector as well as at a private hospital in the United Kingdom (London).
She has considerable expertise in managing patients at both a primary care level and district hospital level. She enjoys the clinical diversity of being able to manage paediatric, psychiatry and general medical patients. Her specialist training also comprised of the management of obstetric patients, performing caesarean sections, general anaesthesia and outpatient surgical procedures.
Although she has trained mainly in western medicine she firmly believes in the benefits of nutrition and natural medicine to optimize and maintain one’s health. Her unique approach of combining both western and eastern philosophies of medical care results in the distinguished quality of care that her patient’s value.
- Qualifications: MBBCh (Wits) FCFP (SA)
- Years in practice: Since 2002
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
- CTG workshop, Imperial College London and Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology University of Cape Town
- Advanced Paediatric Life Support (APLS)
- Surgical skills workshop, Department of Surgery, University of Cape Town
- Introduction to Obstetric Ultrasound competence workshop, University of Stellenbosch
- Essential Steps in Managing Obstetric Emergencies (ESMOE) workshop